Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing
This Chinese-inspired chicken salad is made from crunchy romaine, almond crunch, and wontons topped with protein-rich chicken breast, pasta noodles, and flavory sesame dressing. This recipe is made simple for lighter meal for your family or friends.
But how can we make a healthy Chinese-inspired chicken salad?
This recipe may not sound healthy (with the fried wontons) but the key to healthy meals is moderation. It means that as long as you are careful with your portion size, the amount of dressing that you include, and the how much crunchy wontons that you put on top of your salad, it will still be okay with your cravings fully satisfied.
Dressing in this recipe is easy to prepare as it takes just few minutes to make it. Just add
- Grapeseed oil (we choose this oil as it has milder flavor compared to olive oil; you may also choose canola, if you prefer it)
- Sesame oil
- Seasoned rice vinegar (seasoned or unseasoned will depend on your preference)
- Light soy sauce
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh ground pepper
- Kosher salt
Yield: 2 servings
You will need:
For the chicken salad
1 chicken breast, shredded
2 cups fusilli pasta noodles, cooked and cooled
12 (3-inch) wonton skins, sliced into ¼-inch strips
4 cups romaine lettuce
2 green onions, chopped
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted lightly
1 tbsp sesame seeds
¼ corn oil or canola oil for frying
For the salad dressing
1-½ tbsp grapeseed oil (or canola oil)
6 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp sesame oil (if you prefer a strong sesame flavor)
1-½ tsp sugar
½ tsp fresh ground pepper
⅛ tsp kosher salt
How to Make Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing
- Heat canola oil (or corn oil) in a skillet over a medium-high heat. When oil begins to shimmer, fry the wonton skins in batches of 5 to 7 strips for about 30 seconds on each side, or until lightly browned. Work quickly to avoid burning them.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels, and until they are cooled.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix chicken breast, lettuce, almonds, pasta, and green onions.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting cover, add all the dressing ingredients and shake until ingredients are well-blended. Ot you can whisk them in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
- Dress the chicken salad with 2 to 3 tablespoons of sesame dressing.
- Top with more fried wonton strips and sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy your meals!