Creamy Seafood Chowder
What you will need:
- 2 cans of minced clams (6-½ oz, 184 grams each)
- 1 lb (450 grams) frozen, cooked medium shrimp, thawed, rinsed, tails removed
- 1 lb (450 grams) fresh bay scallops
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cups flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into 1 inch
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh parsley, snipped (optional)
How to Cook Creamy Seafood Chowder
- Drain clams and set aside clam juice. Add enough water to clam juice just to measure 1 cup.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the reserved clam juice, potatoes, carrots, celery, bell pepper, chicken broth, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Put flour in a small mixing bowl. Add half and half into the flour and whisk until mixture is smooth. Add clams, scallops, and shrimp to pot. Whisk in the flour mixture slowly.
- Return to a boil. Cook for about 2 minutes or until thickened, while stirring constantly.
- Sprinkled with parsley, if you desire.
Yield: 12 servings of 1 ¼ cups of seafood chowder
Nutrients for each serving: Calories 230, Fat 7 g, Saturated fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 110 mg, Carbohydrate 19 g, Protein 22 g, Sodium 750 mg, Fiber 2 g