Easy Vegan Caesar Salad
Yes, this is Caesar salad that we love and it’s vegan-inspired recipe. The dressing is made with raw cashews, lemon juice, garlic, capers, and Dijon, making the salad so creamy!
A regular Caesar salads contain anchovies, egg and Parmesan cheese which are not allowed in a vegan diet. This recipe is without egg and dairy ingredients. This salad is also recommended for other dietary restrictions.
This Caesar salad uses whole grain bread for croutons, but if you are following a gluten-free diet, replace it with gluten-free bread. Or, you can leave it out if you prefer low-carb and Whole30 compliant.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
What you will need
2 slices of whole grain bread (or gluten-free bread), 2 0z. Total
½ clove garlic
Extra-virgin olive oil spray
3 heads romaine lettuce
2 radishes, sliced into paper thin
2 tbsp chopped chives
2 tbsp capers, drained
2 tbsp hemp seeds
Pinches of red pepper flakes (optional)
¼ cup microgreens (optional)
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
Lemon wedges for serving
What you will need for vegan Caesar dressing (6 servings)
1 clove garlic
½ cup of raw cashews
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp capers, drained
½ cup of water
Freshly ground black pepper
How to make the recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rub bread slices with the cut side of the garlic clove. Slice the bread into cubes.
- Spray bread cubes with olive oil. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until they are crispy.
- Preparing the dressing: In a high speed blender, put the cashews, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, capers, few grinds of black pepper, and water. Blend until it becomes creamy.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Slice romaine heads in half lengthwise. Sprinkle with some olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Grill romaine, cut side down for about 1-2 minutes, or until char marks appear. Flip gently the romaine and grill for about two minutes more.
- Gather the salad ingredients with grilled romaine and a drizzle of the dressing.
- Top the salad with radishes, capers, chives, and croutons.
- Drizzle with microgreens, he,p seeds, and red pepper flakes (if you decide to add this ingredient).
- Serve with lemon wedges and remaining dressing on the side.
Recipe notes: Omit bread for low-carb and Whole30 followers
Originally published at Skinny Taste in 2019.