This Chinese-inspired chicken salad is made from crunchy romaine, almond crunch, and wontons topped with protein-rich chicken breast, pasta noodles, and flavory sesame dressing. This recipe is made simple for lighter meal for your family or friends. But how can we make a healthy Chinese-inspired […]
This classic French omelette recipe is a favorite. You can fill it with ham and cheese, or substitute them with leftover cooked vegetables. Other classic omelet fillings can be shredded Cheddar, or sour cream, or Gruyere cheese, crisp bacon, diced ham, bell peppers or tomatoes, […]
This Asian Sweet and Sour Shrimp recipe is a Chinese favorite using traditional sweet-and-sour ingredients.
Cornstarch has two purposes in this recipe: gives the shrimp and tofu a nice crunchy coating and makes a thick, glossy sauce. For an added nutrition, serve over a bowl of brown rice, or rice noodles. This makes a delightful lunch or dinner.
Yield: 4 servings (one serving size – 1 cup shrimp and ½ cup rice)
You will need:
1 (3 ½-oz) bag of boil-in-bag rice
8 0z large shrimps, peeled
1 (8-oz) can of pineapple chunks in juice, drained
8 0z firm light tofu
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
¼ cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp cornstarch, divided
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp chili paste with garlic
2 tsp canola oil
2 tsp dark sesame oil
1 tbsp ground fresh ginger
1 cup pre-chopped onion
½ cup pre-chopped green bell pepper
How to make the Asian Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- Cook rice according to package instructions, less the salt and fat. Set aside.
- Place tofu between paper towels until barely moist. Cut into half-inch cubes.
- Mix tofu, 1 tbsp of cornstarch, and shrimps.
- Add and combine the remaining cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and chile paste. Set aside.
- In a large non stick skillet, heat sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp mixture to pan. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Place the shrimp mixture in a bowl.
- Heat canola oil in pan over a medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger, bell pepper, and pineapple to the pan. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth mixture to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve over rice and enjoy your meal!
Published in MyRecipes in 2008.
You and your family will surely love these moist and tender baked pork chops. Great for weeknight dinner!
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking/Baking Time: 45 minutes
You will need
4 boneless pork chops, about ½-inch thick
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
How to make Parmesan-Coated Baked Pork Chops
- On a plate, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Rub pork chops with olive oil and dip or coat each pork chop in cheese mixture. Press mixture over each pork chop making sure that they are well-coated.
- Line a pan with tin foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- Arrange pork chops on the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
You can have healthy benefits from bananas by eating eating them raw or blend them with your most-loved smoothie. You can enjoy your homemade banana-peanut butter sandwich, banana muffins, or banana bread. Good news is that bananas are all-year round available and easy to store. […]
Simple but savory sea salt ice cream and perfect match for sweet pies and cakes. Great desert!
Total Cooking Time: 3 hours and 45 minutes
Yield: 3 to 5 servings
You will need:
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
⅓ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Sea salt (just be careful with this salt)
Green food coloring (optional)
Blue food coloring (optional)
How to make Sea Salt Ice Cream
- Separate eggs into 2 good-sized mixing bowls.
- Beat egg whites until they are stiff.
- Mix egg yolks and sugar until it is thick.
- Gradually bring milk to a boil over a medium heat, while stirring occasionally.
- Pour hot milk into the yolk-sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Pour milk-yolk-sugar mixture back into the pot and heat on medium until it is thick like a custard. AVOID LETTING IT BOIL. If you cannot get it to a custard thickness, get the thickness as you can.
- Add custard into the beaten egg whites. Mixx well.
- Put sea salt and keep adding the salt until it tastes salty-sweet. Be careful not to add too much of the salt.
- Place the mixture in the fridge to cool.
- Once it is cool, add the vanilla and cream. You may add (optional) 12 drops of blue coloring and 3 drops of green food coloring.
- Freeze, while following the ice cream maker’s instructions.
- But if you do not have an ice cream maker, just pour the final mixture into 1 or 2 metal cake pans and set in the freezer. Allow it to sit until its edges are firm and then, remove and mix. Repeat until ice cream is frozen evenly.
For every serving: 515.4 calories, 38.5 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 255.5 mg cholesterol, 157.5 mg sodium, 32.4 g carbohydrates, 22.5 g sugars, 11.2 g proteins.
Published in Genius Kitchen.