Stir Fry Beef and Baby Corn Recipe
Stir fry recipes are versatile and one of the best! You can use whatever ingredient that you have in your fridge.
This hearty Fry Beef and Baby Corn recipe gives you tender beef slices, crunchy vegetables, and baby corn in sweet sauce. This quick easy dish is great for busy weeknights.
The key to tender and juicy beef in stir frying is a Chinese cooking method known as velveting. The meat is marinated in soy sauce and cornstarch. Then, briefly blanch meat in either oil or water before finishing off during stir-fry with the remaining ingredients. This easy cooking method produces a coat which locks moisture and keeps the beef tender and moist.
One of the best sauce that goes with this recipe is broth mixture, Chinese cooking wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar thickened with cornstarch. It’s a delicious combination of savory and sweet that brings out the best flavor on vegetables, shrimps, and chicken.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time Before Serving: 30 minutes
You will need:
1 lb beef sirloin, thinly sliced into 1-inch strips
1 tbsp cornstarch
6 tbsp light soy sauce
½ cup water
¼ cup oyster sauce
2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp pepper
3 tbsp canola oil
½ red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced into thin strips
8 baby corn, slice into 1-inch length
½ cup water chestnuts, drained
12 snow peas (ends are trimmed)
1 medium-sized onion, peeled and cut thinly
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
How to make Stir Fry Beef and Baby Corn:
- In a small mixing bowl, mix beef, 4 tbsp of the soy sauce, and cornstarch. Stir to fully coat meat. Let it stand between 10 and 15 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, mix water, oyster sauce, Chinese cooking wine, sugar, pepper, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Stir until the ingredients are well-mixed. Set aside.
- Gently squeeze meat to extract marinade using your hands. Add excess liquid into the bowl of oyster sauce mixture. The cornstarch from the marinade will help thicken the stir-fry sauce.
- In a wide pan or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat. Add bell peppers, baby corn, and water chestnuts. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add snow peas and cook for another 10 seconds. Remove from the pan. Keep it warm.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan. Add the beef in one layer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes for each side. Avoid overcrowding the pan. Cook beef in batches, if it is necessary. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Wipe down the wok as needed.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, add onions and garlic. Cook until softened.
- Put th beef and vegetable mixture. Continue cooking while stirring occasionally for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through and coated with the sauce.
- Serve hot.
Published in Kawaling Pinoy 2018.